Christchurch Earthquake 22 February 2011

A devastating and violent 6.3 earthquake hit Christchurch yesterday.

Below are some images and video I took from the past 36 hours after the quake.

I grabbed my video camera right after the quake stopped and this is what I got….

For the description of each picture just click on it and it’ll take you to my Flickr page – although most just speak for themselves.

Drive by

Colombo Street - devastated

Mayor Bob Parker fields questions from the media

The rescue workers go in to start a new shift

The old Sitting Room building

Disaster

Two survivors look on at the demolished building they escaped

A deceiving puddle

Clayton & Phil

Rescue worker climbs out of rubble

Volunteers in front of one of the last remaining icons of our city

Cars crushed

This shot below was taken from my balcony just two weeks before the earthquake. This city will never look like this again….

Christchurch Night Sky

9 Comments

• February 23, 2011

I lived in Christchurch during my University days; inner city. I found your picture of Columbo Street particularly shocking. Thank you for these amazing images.

1. While the event is awful, the shots you got are great, aesthetically I mean, aside from just documenting. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what kind of video camera were you using?

• February 23, 2011

Video was on a Panasonic AF102 – with a Lumix 7-14mm f4.0 lens.

Photos are on a Lumix GF1

Thanks!

• February 24, 2011

I’ve seen newspaper articles and TV clips, but none of it seemed like a real thing that happened to real people until I saw your video. Thanks.

• February 24, 2011
    • February 25, 2011

Glad to see you made it and still rock with a camera.
    I saw your video first on TV and wondered if it might have been yours.

I hope the following weeks are less stressful than the last few days.

• February 25, 2011

Cheers for the comments guys. I’m fine – but lots of tragedy all throughout our great city.

• February 8, 2012

God, that last photo is beautiful. I can barely remember the city before that day.
    I can’t believe it has nearly been a year.

Brilliant photos.